Feb 5, 2009

Super Bowl post-mortem

I know I said I was going to post my reaction to the advertising from the Super Bowl, but I felt the ads were so poor that it has taken me the better part of the week to stop shaking my head at the work my industry released on that stage.

Personally, I thought the Denny's ad was the best one from the game. It was funny and entertaining, had a great promotion behind it, and got people to think about having breakfast at Denny's again. I hadn't even thought about Denny's in years, but they solved that in 30 seconds. Over 2 million people went to take advantage of the offer. Denny's CEO Nelson Marchioli said "This free offer is our way of reacquainting America with Denny's real breakfast and with the Denny's brand." Nicely done.



The other one I felt was a successful ad were the two Hyundai advertisements, one of which showed Lexus and BMW's reaction to Hyundai Genesis being named North American Car of the Year. In step with last year's Super Bowl ad, this one resorted to changing perception of the automaker without the juvenile, throw a snowglobe in someone's crotch sort of humor that others have come to expect from the game. Instead they fixed the biggest problem with their brand, that no one could pronounce their name. In another spot, Hyundai introduced their "Assurance" program which allows buyers to return the car with no penalty should they lose their income at some point in the following 12 months. Another great program to add significant value, all done without discounting or cheapening their product.




At Richter7 we held our annual Ad Bowl party the Monday after the game and rated each ad. Here is a clip from our party as covered by a local television station. (Just click the image and be forewarned, KSL puts a preroll advertisement in front of the clip so be patient).

Video Courtesy of KSL.com

0 comments: