Nov 17, 2008

The Church of Apple



Apple is fascinating on so many levels. For marketers, few companies have mastered the art of branding as well as Apple. Apple has successfully captured the ever evolving aura of "cool" and attracted an extremely passionate and loyal base of customers from far and wide, part of the reason why Apple was named the "most successful world brand" and America's most admired company earlier this year.

A friend and devoted Apple fan told me yesterday of a conversation he had with a developer from Apple at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference. The developer told him that Apple makes it a point to not simply develop products based on what consumers want (chasing the puck), but build according to what consumers will want in the future (skating to the puck).

The philosophy results in truly innovative products that are first to market (controlling the puck), enhanced by design and packaging aesthetics, retail experiences, and opportunities for brand advocates to engage with the brand like WWDC and store openings that further advance Apple's religious following.

2 comments:

JBarker said...

Hi. My name is Jason. I am addicted to Apple.

The crowd's response: Hello, Jason.

I don't align myself with many of the comments from the video you linked to. I don't look for the limelight nor have I ever thought about being first at any of Apple's events. However, I do enjoy being part of the Apple events. It is just one of the ways I can voice my support for a company that cares about the quality of their products. Certainly, as pointed out in the video, I would agree that Apple is not perfect in everything they do. However, they continue to refine their products far beyond what others in the industry do. That helps me to trust what their technological direction as well as their products!

Viva Apple!!!

November 17, 2008 at 2:33 PM
Anonymous said...

Jason, we are here to support you. The first step to breaking your addiction to Apple is recognizing your addiction in the first place.

Now you can start the healing and switch to Microsoft...on second though, screw that and stick with Apple.

November 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM